The truth is, I kind of hate cooking.
I’m pretty good at it – when I first became vegan 11 years ago I had no choice but to learn how. Otherwise, I would likely have starved. So I am a bit burnt out on it. I do it more than I’d like to…like every day! But if I could never cook again, I’d be very, very happy.
Alas, vegan meal service options have not yet reached that point, nor has my food budget. So cook I do, with a focus on EASY and HEALTHY. As an athlete, I can’t get away with stuffing my pie hole with garbage, so I eat a lot of kale, smoothies, sweet potatoes, hemp hearts, whole grain bread, avocados and the like.
I was on Rogers Daytime Ottawa on Thursday, Oct. 8 sharing some of my favourite ways to use sweet potatoes. Here are the recipes that I showed on Daytime… and a bonus recipe!
Oven baked sweet potato medallions
I make these as a side dish, or sometimes as a snack! They take some time in the oven, but the prep part is easy and once you stick ’em in the oven you can stop cooking.
- Two sweet potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick into circles (peeling optional)
- Olive oil (optional)
- Garlic powder
- Heat oven to 400F
- Place sliced sweet potatoes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush with a bit of olive oil (optional). Sprinkle with a bit of salt
- Place on middle rack, turning after 15-20 minutes. Cook for another 10 minutes
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, or whatever other herbs and spices you enjoy. Eat hot or cold, as a snack or side dish.
Soup with Sweet Potatoes
There are several variations you can do! Start with one soup base, but then amend to suit whatever you feel like on a given day. And yes, I know, tomatoes and peanut butter together sounds really gross but trust me, it’s good.
- One onion, chopped (leave this out if you hate onions, like my friend Danielle Avery)
- 1T minced ginger (for options one and two)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2t minced garlic
- 1L vegetable broth
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes (400 ml)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- Add 1/2-cup peanut butter, ½-cup coconut milk, 1T curry powder, several spears of shredded kale, and minced cilantro at the end for African-style soup
- Add 1 cup of dried red lentils, 1T curry powder and optional ½-cup coconut milk for a lentil soup
- Add several spears of kale, minced, and 1 can of white beans
- Up the carrots to 3, add one diced apple, and blend until smooth with an immersion or regular blender (but be careful, it’s hot!)
Sweet Potato Pecan Salad
This salad is equally at home at a summer picnic, or the Thanksgiving table. There’s something magical about roasting sweet potatoes in coconut oil.
(About 4-6 side dish servings)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onions
- Salt to taste
- 4T cup lime juice
- 3T maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Roast the sweet potatoes and onions with coconut oil at 400F until sweet potatoes are cooked – about 20-25 minutes.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the pecans until fragrant.
- Combine the sweet potato roast mixture with the nuts, and add all other ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Serve warm or cold.