- Recipient of the Mayor’s City Builder award, which recognizes an individual, group or organization that has, through outstanding volunteerism or exemplary action, demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to making our city a better place today and for the future. (Jan. 2016)
- Experience developing, managing and implementing strategic communications priorities in the corporate, non-profit and government sectors.
- Development of communications strategies and plans for government, corporate and small business clients.
- Demonstrated experience producing a wide range of digital and traditional marketing and communications products.
- Three years of results-driven corporate social media management experience.
- Media relations experience and success: preparing and pitching press releases, giving media interviews, developing talking points, and offering businesses and organizations strategic media advice.
- Well-developed ability to successfully identify and shape messaging for a broad range of clients.
- Experience in the area of influencer engagement and outreach, and developing strategic relationships.
- Experience managing and motivating staff, hiring/managing contractors, identifying and cultivating volunteers, and demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Bilingual (BBB) – January 2012.
EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Principal, Pamela Tourigny Marcom – March 2015 – Present
- I work with small clients – businesses and organizations – to flexibly address their communications, marketing and public relations needs.
- I bring a strategic approach to each client, helping them to focus in on their goals, and aligning tactics accordingly.
- List of services here.
Live the Smart Way Expo – Community Director – April – December 2015
- Led the development of online community portal, and parallel real life events, which encourage Expo exhibitors and attendees to stay connected in between Expos.
- Participated in developing the strategic direction and integration between the Community Program, Expo, and Live the Smart Way brand.
- Provided strategic communications and marketing advice to a television/internet personality (Kathy Smart).
- Developed a marketing program to engage, acquire and retain community subscribers (B2C), as well as customized marketing/communications programs for Expo exhibitors ongoing (B2B and B2C).
- Represented Live the Smart Way online and at community events.
Fauxmagerie Zengarry – Marketing Advisor – June 2015 – present
- Reviewed and analyzed the business and marketing status of a relatively new and growing consumer product manufacturer; provided a marketing and communications strategy.
- Develops integrated bi-monthly marketing campaigns including online (web and social), event-based, email, measurement, and PR components; assists with the execution.
Manager, Community & Communications – terra20. April 2012-March 2015
- Key part of a small marketing team that grew year-over-year store traffic and sales through highly targeted marketing and communications efforts (mainly digital), despite significant budget reductions.
- Managed, executed and reported on all aspects of corporate communications for terra20, an Ottawa-based startup retailer, within the marketing department.
- Responsible for managing the company’s community outreach and relationship building activities, including community and influencer outreach.
- Participated in high-level marketing communications strategy; advised the company CEO and president on communications and public relations issues.
- Managed the planning and execution of the terra20 Grand Opening event, Media Preview event, and initial media launch. Mentored junior employees to plan events. Recommended and coordinated participation in trade shows and off-site events.
- Owner of the brand voice. Oversaw the creation and implementation of all external company messaging. Ensured that brand voice and communications priorities were reflected in all marketing campaigns, advertising, media outreach, and other communications activities.
- Managed sponsorship requests and quid pro quo community outreach opportunities.
- Planned all media relations activities, acting as a company spokesperson and maintaining relationships with key reporters and media personalities;
- Managed all aspects of terra20’s social media presence, from planning to execution.
- Developed terra20’s 2013 and 2014 Social Media Strategies
- Managed social media (Facebook and Twitter), company blog, customer emails.
- Led social media outreach efforts for the brand launch and store openings.
- terra20’s eyes and ears online and in the community, identifying potential threats to the brand and crafting official positions and responses.
- Developed internal company protocols and procedures, particularly pertaining to communications and customer relations.
Communications Director and President, National Capital Vegetarian Association (NCVA) (June 2007- June 2015)
- Oversaw the operations of a non-profit organization, including strategic direction, fund raising, events, and volunteer management.
- Co-organizer and promotions director for Ottawa Veg Fest (2009-2012), an annual outreach event that attracts up to 6,000 visitors each year.
- Included sponsorship negotiation, booking exhibitors, lining up guest speakers and cooking demonstrators, logistics, media outreach, and influencer engagement.
- Developed and maintained a network of business contacts, and co-developed a member discount program. Negotiated sponsorship agreements with businesses.
- Developed an informational piece co-branded with the Ottawa Humane Society about vegan and vegetarian lifestyle (2015).
- Identified and participated in outreach and promotional opportunities, such as organizing events, newsletters, participating at trade shows and events, writing articles for other publications, and organizing speakers.
- Recruited, identified, mentored and managed volunteer resources, for the successful completion of a range of special projects.
- Managed media relations activities, including pitching to media, and conducting interviews and television appearances.
Senior Communications Advisor (IS-05), Department of National Defence, Strategic Communications Planning Team. June 2011-March 2012.
- Lead writer and researcher for the DND/CF Communications Strategy 2011-2013; Strategic Communications Planning division of the Department of National Defence.
- Created the presentation deck, speaking notes, and correspondence in support of the DND/CF Communications Strategy.
- Researched and wrote the DND/CF Quarterly Strategic Messages.
- Attended operational and strategic meetings on a daily basis.
- Offered strategic communications input and advice to management for speeches, and support to film requests.
- Developed Critical Path approval templates and SOP for high-level corporate documents including Speech From the Throne, RPP, Auditor General Report, Public Accounts, Main Estimates, Budget, etc.
Advertising Features Writer/Editor, The Ottawa Citizen – (April 2005 – April 2011)
- Coordinated, wrote and edited numerous special sections, advertising and marketing projects for the Ottawa Citizen. Promoted companies, fundraisers through special sections and paid advertorials.
- Hired and managed freelance writers and photographers.
- Project management—established deadlines, goals and priorities for multiple projects being executed simultaneously; motivated others to meet objectives; coordinated all editorial components.
- Worked closely with clients to develop advertising strategies, offered messaging advice, and wrote articles to implement messages.
- Worked closely with the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation for six years to produce popular Citizen marketing supplements in support of fund raising initiatives.
- Conducted interviews with researchers, doctors, staff, and patients/families.
- Ensured that all content supported key messages, goals and branding.
- Persuasively communicated the cause to the public through compelling stories.
- Directed the design process, and led a stringent approval process.
- Wrote weekly Rental Guide, Buying & Selling and Pet Guide columns.
Editor, Construction News and Report Publishing, Inc. – (May 2003-April 2005)
- Editor of several trade publications, including the Ottawa Construction News, GTA Construction Report, Ontario Construction Report, and the Greater Ottawa Home Builders’ Association’s (GOHBA) internal newsletter, IMPACT! (six times yearly).
- Planned and executed the production of newspapers/association newsletter; involved with every aspect of production; writing news and promotional stories, editing, photography, and lay out.
- Worked with the GOHBA to determine the association’s messaging priorities and objectives, to communicate them to members through the IMPACT!
- Independently researched and developed contacts within the construction industry in order to acquire a strong subject matter knowledge base.
- Wrote hundreds of news stories.
- Wrote dozens of effective promotional marketing articles for a wide range of companies, working with each client to identify and meet their objectives.
- Hired and managed freelance writers and photographers.
Carleton University- Bachelor of Journalism, with High Honours, minor in History (2003). Overall GPA: 10.325 on the 12 pt. scale.
Healthy living, running, fitness, ultimate Frisbee, animal rescue, vegan and allergy-friendly cuisine.